Makes 6 servings
For the Cake:
½ cup + 1 ½ Tbsp sugar, divided
⅓ cup water
6 oz bittersweet chocolate or couverture chocolate (72% or higher), finely chopped
4.5 oz European style unsalted butter, cut into 1 Tbsp pieces
3 eggs, slightly beaten, at room temperature
Whipped cream, optional garnish
For the Chocolate Sauce:
½ cup heavy cream
3 oz bittersweet chocolate or couverture chocolate (72% or higher), finely chopped
For the Cherry Sauce:
16 oz frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, halved, thawed, undrained
½ – ¾ cup sugar, to taste
1/3 cup cherry liqueur or Chambord
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 tsp arrowroot powder
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 300°. Prepare 6 8 -ounce ramekins with cooking spray.
- Melt ½ cup of sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring almost to a boil.
- Place chocolate and butter in a medium mixing bowl. Pour warm sugar mixture over and stir until thoroughly melted.
- Combine remaining sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Whip on high speed 4-5 minutes, until the eggs form ribbons.
- Fold in the chocolate mixture until combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide among prepared ramekins. Can be made ahead and refrigerated.
- Place ramekins in a roasting pan. Fill the pan with hot water half way up the side of the ramekins.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. If cakes were refrigerated, add 5-7 minutes to baking time.
- Allow cakes to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Make the chocolate sauce: Heat cream in a small saucepan to a simmer. Pour over chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir chocolate until thoroughly melted and combined with cream.
- Make the cherry sauce: combine the cherries with juices, ½ cup sugar, liqueur, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Add arrowroot. Simmer 10 minutes, until sauce is thickened and slightly reduced. Set aside.
- Assemble: Turn cakes onto serving plates and garnish with chocolate and cherry sauce, and optional whipped cream.
This decadent cake is also gluten-free, soy free and nut free. It can also be served with cardamom, cinnamon, or ginger ice cream.