Being on an island with limited resources and a fragile marine ecosystem, we are keenly aware of how our actions affect the land and surrounding waters. We have implemented low-impact conservation techniques to ensure that we are good stewards of the environment, and we partner with like-minded businesses who also practice sustainable tourism. This collaborative spirit helps to ensure the long-term care of our precious environment.
We are a certified Green Hotel and Green Leader with Trip Advisor and the Washington Bed & Breakfast Guild. To obtain these certifications, we must pass stringent tests; we’d like to share with you all that we do to make a difference for you and for our environment.
FOR OUR GUESTS
- For your health, pleasure, and sense of well-being, our personal care products are not only hypoallergenic, but are readily biodegradable and never tested on animals. They are handmade with organic ingredients.
- Your room has been cleaned effectively without the use of hazardous cleaning substances such as phosphate, butyl ether, chlorine, and ammonia. Bleach is used occasionally in small amounts, as required by the Washington State Department of Health Regulations.
- Our mattress and feather toppers are completely encased in allergy-proof covers to prevent reaction to allergens or chemical sensitivities.
- Organic cleaners and vinegar are used in lieu of highly scented fabric softener.
- Our bedding and towels are made of organically produced cotton; in addition, the towels are eco-friendly, requiring much less drying time, which saves energy.
- Our e-newsletter provides information on local conservation efforts, and encourages guests to participate.
FOR OUR ENVIRONMENT
- Our personal care products are packaged in multi-use dispensers, eliminating extra packaging while still maintaining hygiene.
- We encourage guests to participate in our water-saving program by re-using towels more than one day. Only linens that are left on the floor will be changed.
- There are recycling bins in all cottages and suites, and we ask you to please use them. If you are staying in one of our guest rooms, housekeeping will recycle your items when they service your room. Please set them by the trash.
- Energy Star appliances are purchased for all replacements.
- Propane fireplaces reduce the waste and toxins of wood burning fireplaces.
- All guest accommodations have been equipped with low-flush toilets and low water usage showers for water conservation.
- Our gardens are maintained with a drip irrigation system to avoid waste of water run-off, and the lawns are only watered by natural rainfall. Please excuse our summer brown lawn. We save our precious water for the flowers, plants and vegetables.
- Lights are compact fluorescent or energy efficient L.E.D., and outdoor solar lights are installed where possible.
- Filtered water is provided in all rooms, eliminating need for individual plastic bottles.
- We work with local farmers to recycle our kitchen scraps for chicken and pig feed or for their own composting.
- We select sustainable ingredients for our menu preparations, including seafood. In addition, we use as much locally produced products as possible.
- Guest confirmations and receipts are sent via email to reduce paper waste.
- All shipping materials received by the Inns are reused to ship Gift Shop Products, or taken to local shipping companies.
- Printer toner cartridges are compiled and dropped at recycling centers.
- Worn appliances, electronics, and furniture are taken to companies that recycle and/or resell them.
- Worn linens and bedding are donated to Wolf Hollow Wildlife Rehabilitation Center or San Juan Animal Shelter.
We encourage you to join in and help save our natural resources through energy and water conservation. Electricity, gas and water are saved by turning off unneeded lights and thoughtful usage of heating.
TIPS FOR GREEN VACATIONING ON THE ISLAND
Reduce your carbon foot print
- Walk, ride a bicycle, or use the transit bus rather than your car to explore the island.
- Dine at restaurants that use sustainable ingredients from local producers.
- Recycle, recycle, recycle.
- Use rechargeable batteries.
- When recycling facilities for specialty items such as batteries are not available, take the drained batteries back with you to dispose of properly on the mainland.
- Turn off heat and other appliances when leaving your room.
- Use biodegradable sunscreen.
- Use a re-usable water bottle instead of purchasing bottled water. You can refill your bottle anywhere there’s potable water.
- Buy whole foods instead of pre-packaged prepared items when cooking in your vacation suite or rental.
- For take-out meals, take only the amount of condiments and napkins that you will actually use.
- Bring your own toiletries instead of using pre-packaged single use containers.
- Purchase only the amount of food that you can consume while you are visiting.
- Bring reusable shopping bags, or purchase one from our gift shop or in island shops; carry them with you on all island shopping excursions.
Reduce water usage
- Keep your showers short.
- Shut off water while brushing your teeth.
- Reuse your towels and sheets instead of having them changed daily.
We thank you for your efforts to maintain the Islands’ precious ecosystem.