Here is an alternative way to get to the Washington State Ferry Terminal in Anacortes from Seattle due to the I-5 bridge collapse. I-5 is closed in both directions in Skagit County south of Burlington.
If you are driving from Seattle, consider the suggested alternative route which happens to be one of our favorite drives. Many of us prefer this route since it winds through the picturesque Skagit Valley farm lands that in spring are painted with the vibrant colors of tulip fields and in summer, the local area bounty – berries, potatoes and pumpkins.
1. Take Exit 221 – Rt. 534 (Fir Island Road West) from Conway off the I-5. This exit is south of Mt. Vernon and Burlington.
2. Fir Island road becomes Best Road.
3. Turn left onto WA-20 West. WA-20 turns into the WA-20 Spur that will lead you into Anacortes.
4. Take the first exit off the round about onto Commercial Avenue to downtown Anacortes.
5. Turn left onto 12 Street. Follow the signs and take the right fork to the Anacortes Ferry Terminal.
(Estimated driving time from Conway to the terminal (41 minutes – 27 miles)
View the I-5 Skagit alternate route map.
If you decide not to drive consider the following options to get to Friday Harbor:
1. Foot Passenger Ferry:
The Victoria Clipper offers daily service from downtown Seattle at 7:45 am to Friday Harbor.
2. Kenmore Air:
Kenmore Air offers regularly scheduled flights from downtown Seattle from either Lake Union or Boeing Field to Friday Harbor Marina or Friday Harbor Airport.
For up to the minute updates, visit www.sanjuandem.net/facebook
Other online resources: