Sweet Potato Bread
2 sweet potatoes
1 c. milk
2 Tbsp. barley malt
3 Tbsp. butter
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. yeast
1/3 c. warm water
4 c. bread flour
1 c. rye flour
1. Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes. Toss with oil, salt and pepper, and roast in a 400 degree oven.
2. When potatoes are soft and well browned, transfer to food processor and purée with butter, milk, barley malt, and salt.
3. Proof yeast in warm water. When yeast is frothy combine flours, potatoes, and yeast.
4. Let rise until doubled in size about 4 hours.
5. Punch down, shape and let rise.
6. Bake in a 425 degree oven until golden brown.
Recipe Note: This recipe was developed by Paul Stevens, our Chef at Coho. We present two breads daily in our bread basket. This sweet potato bread has become a real favorite with our guests. Sometimes we add currents or swap out the rye flour with whole wheat. We brush it with an egg wash or heavy cream and sprinkle some caraway seeds or sesame seeds before putting it in the oven.
Lodging and Dining Friday Harbor, WA San Juan Island
Harrison House Suites and Tucker House Inn