Perfectly Plain Cheesecake
Makes 12 servings.
NOTE: It is very important that the cream cheese, eggs and cream be at room temperature. You may need to let them sit out for an hour before beginning to make this recipe.
2 c. graham cracker crumbs
2 TBLS. sugar
1/2 c. butter (1 stick) melted and cooled
3 (8-oz.) packages of cream cheese softened to room temperature
1 c. sugar
3 eggs room temperature1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 TBLS. lemon juice
1 c. heavy cream, room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (315 degrees F. for convection oven).
2. Cover the bottom of an 8-inch with two layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil making a double water proof bottom for the springform pan. Cut an 8” round piece of parchment to cover the bottom of the springform pan.
3. Mix the graham cracker crumbs, two tablespoons of sugar, and the cooled butter in a bowl.
4. Use your hands to firmly press the cookie crumb mixture evenly onto the parchment paper on the bottom of the pan and half way up the sides. Place the springform pan into the larger ovenproof pan and set aside.
5. Mix creamcheese on high speed for 3 minutes, add sugar and mix for another minute.
6. At medium speed, add eggs, one at a time. Add lemon juice and vanilla.
7. On low speed, add cream and mix for two minutes. Scrape down the sides, bottom so mixture is smooth.
8. Pour the mixture into the crust.
9. Place the two (2) pans into the oven on the middle rack, and fill the larger with hot water about half way up the sides of your cheesecake pan. Bake until golden brown and edges are firm to about 1 inch from the edge of pan, or about one hour.
10. Turn off the oven, crack the door open, but leave the cheesecake in the oven two until it is cool enough to touch. During this time, the remaining part of the cheesecake will firm up so that it does not “jiggle” when the pan is moved. DO NOT CHECK FOR DONENESS BY INSERTING ANYTHING IN YOUR CHEESECAKE. NOTE: There should be no wet spots or liquid areas in the center of the cheesecake. Remember that a cheesecake continues to cook when it is removed from the oven.
11. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. remove the foil covering the bottom of the springform pan.
NOTE: Cool the cheesecake in the refrigerator completely (at least 1 hour) before attempting to remove from the springform pan.
To remove, run a wet sharp knife carefully between the cheesecake and the inside of the springform pan, then simply release the sides and push the cheesecake up out of the pan. The parchment round on the bottom of the cheesecake will make it easy to slide the cheesecake onto a serving plate.
Lodging and Dining Friday Harbor, WA San Juan Island
Harrison House Suites and Tucker House Inn