Ferry Travel Tips
If you are traveling via the Washington State ferry from Anacortes to Friday Harbor, here are some local tips for minimizing long cues during peak summer or holiday travel.
Your return trip back to Anacortes from the The Tucker House will be worry free. We recommend that you put your car in line after the previous ferry leaves, come back to the Inn and enjoy a leisurely breakfast, and then stroll down to terminal 15 minutes before your departure time knowing that your car is safely in line.
Tickets and Reservation:
- Travel is first-come, first served. Reservations are only available for the international crossing to Sidney B.C., Canada.
- Purchasing tickets online prior to travel does not offer any priority in boarding.
- Tickets purchased in Anacortes are for round-trip travel to Friday Harbor.
- In order to avoid long wait times, plan on taking one of the early morning ferries. The afternoon ferries (2:40 p.m or 3:10 p.m.) are always crowded and cars are often wait listed for later boats. If you plan on taking one of the afternoon sailings, try to get in line at least 2 hours prior to departure time.
- Consider leaving your car in Anacortes and visiting San Juan Island by foot. The Tucker House is only one and 1/2 blocks from the Friday Harbor ferry terminal. There are plenty of options for getting around the Island without a car, especially in summer.
- Four-legged friends are welcome on the ferry. They can enjoy the crossing in your vehicle, or on the car deck restrained in a crate. Only service animals are permitted on the passenger decks.
- Inter-island ferry travel is free for foot passengers or those traveling with a bicycle.
- On your return trip to Anacortes from Friday Harobr, you can stop and visit other islands without having to pay additional ferry tarifs.