Sweetened Strawberries for Strawberry Shortcake
Makes 8 Servings
2 cups All-purpose flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp finely ground sea salt
8 Tbsp European style unsalted butter
1 large egg
½ c. heavy cream
2 Tbsp rice flour for rolling shortcakes
1 large egg white
2 Tbsp raw sugar
8 c. strawberries or blueberries
½ c. confection sugar
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice or balsamic reduction
½ tsp. lemon zest
½ cup whipping cream
½ tsp pure vanilla
1 tsp powdered sugar
For the Short cakes:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Place all dry ingredients in food processor and pulse briefly to blend.
- Add butter and process until mixture is the consistency of corn meal.
- Mix egg and cream together slightly and pour through spout of food processor; process until combined.
- Turn mixture onto lightly floured (with rice flour) surface and roll to ½ inch thick; cut into shapes and place on cookie sheet lined with silicon mat or parchment paper.
- Beat egg white slightly and brush on shortcakes; sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes until golden brown.
For the Berries:
Macerate 3 cups of strawberries (for blueberries I use a food processor) until crushed. Add ½ cup of sugar. Add remaining whole or sliced berries and let sit 30 minutes.
For the Cream:
- Mix ingredients for cream and whip until soft peaks form. You can also use a cream charger (isi).
- Place short bread on bottom of plate.
- Spoon berries over the shortbread then a dollop of cream.
- Add second short bread and finish off with whip cream
- Drizzle berry and mint over cream.