Stuffed French Toast Casserole Recipe
3 slices of Day Old Italian Bread sliced
4 apples sliced and spritzed with lemon juice
1 TBsp. Brown Sugar
½ tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp. Mace or Nutmeg
1 Tbsp. Butter
Ricotta Cheese Filling:
½ cup ricotta cheese
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 ½ tsp. sugar
3 TBLS cream
Splash Amaretto, apple jack brandy
3 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour
3 Tbsp. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/4 c. light brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
5 Tbsp. Butter
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 c. Old Fashion Oats
3/4 c. Toasted and Chopped Pecans or Walnuts
- Caramelize apples with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter. Set aside.
- Cut butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour together with a knife or pastry cutter until combined. There will be some lumps the size of a pea. Stir in nuts and oats. You can also do this with a food processor, Pulse until combined. If the butter is too soft or you over mix you will end up with a wad of dough.
- Spray small ramekin or larger casserole dish with non-stick baking spray.
- Layer bread, apples and ricotta cheese and then remaining bread.
- Combine egg mixture and whisk.
- Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover with film and place weight on top and refrigerator over night.
- Sprinkle with crisp topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until custard is set.
- Serve garnishing with additional caramelized apples , caramel sauce, powdered sugar and breakfast meat.