Mango & Crab Meat Salad
Basic Aioli (recipe below)
Mango – flesh sliced in wedges
1/2# Dungeness or Maryland Blue Crab (backfin or lump; cooked and picked)
1 tsp. tarragon, chopped (reserve sprig for garnish)
2 Tbsp. red pepper, diced (for garnish)
English cucumber cut into 1 inch boats – seeds removed (for appetizer salad)
1 c. arugula
Lemon vinaigrette (recipe below)
Lightly toss crab with aioli and fresh tarragon.
- Plate crab salad in cucumber boat and garnish with slice of mango & red pepper.
- Perfect for amuse bouche or appetizer buffet.
For salad plating (perfect for lunch or first course)
Toss arugula with lemon vinaigrette. Place in a mound on chilled plate.
- Fan mango on plate.
- Place scoop of crab salad on mango.
- Garnish with red pepper and sprig of tarragon.
2 Tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 Tbsp. shallot, minced
1 tbsp. fresh herbs, chopped (thyme, fennel, tarragon, basil, dill or parsley)
½ c. olive oil
Salt and pepper
Combine ingredients above.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and fresh herbs.
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. dry mustard
½ tsp. sea salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed or champagne vinegar
1/4 c. olive oil
Place yolks in blender and pulse until thick.
- Add seasonings and lemon juice until combined.
- Gradually add oil until mixture thickens.
Serves 2 as salad; Makes 8 cucumber boats.