The first of the season’s berries are here. We have been enjoying them for breakfast with our homemade granola, baked in a crisp with rhubarb, and topped with a lightly sweet chantilly cream.
2 c. all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
8 Tbsp. butter
1 lg. egg
½ c. heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp. raw sugar
1 lg. egg white
1 Tbsp. rice flour
1. Place dry ingredients and butter in food processor and process until course. Add whole egg and whipping cream and process until mixture forms a dough ball.
2. Lightly dust cutting board with rice flour. Press out to about ½ inch thick. Use a cookie cutter and shape into 3 inch size shortcakes.
3. Place on silicon lined baking sheet. Brush egg white over each shortcake and sprinkle raw sugar on top.
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden brown. Cool on a rack. Serves 8
2 lbs. strawberries
¼ c. sugar
½ tsp. aged balsamic vinegar
1. Place 5-6 strawberries in food processor and purée until liquid. Place purée, sugar, and balsamic vinegar in bowl.
2. Cut up remaining strawberries into ¼ size pieces and add to bowl. Let stand 30 minutes to one hour so that strawberries release juices.
½ c. heavy cream
2 tsp. confection sugar
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1. Beat until soft peaks form.
1. Slice shortcakes in half. Place half on a dish and pour strawberries on top.
2. Layer with a dollop of Chantilly cream and then top of short cake. Add more cream and drizzle with strawberry sauce. Garnish with fresh mint.
Lodging and Dining Friday Harbor, WA San Juan Island
Harrison House Suites and Tucker House Inn